Re: may I commit this small umodem patch ?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:54:02 -0400
On Monday 28 July 2008 06:06:28 pm Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au> writes:
> > Sverre Svenningsen <ss.alert_at_online.no> wrote:
> > > Is current_at_freebsd.org just an alias to freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org ?
> > Yes.  There are some MUAs that have broken list-handling functionality
> > and cannot be configured to recognize list aliases.
>
> Uh, no.  No MUA can "recognize list aliases" as it would require
> knowledge of what software the receiving MX runs and how it is
> configured.
>
> No MUA needs to "recognize list aliases" either.  As long as they reply
> to the address listed in the original email's From: field (and
> optionally to those listed in the Cc: field), they will be fine.
>
> The culprit here is HPS, who added freebsd-current_at_ to the Cc: list.

Actually, kmail has "smarts" that will use the address from the 'List-Post'
header as the 'To' address and then 'cc' all the other recipients, with the
result that if an e-mail is originally sent to current_at_FreeBSD.org, when I do
a reply-all, it ends up going "To" freebsd-current_at_, and cc'ing current_at_ as
well as the original sender.  My request to have a knob to turn
this "feature" off has been denied by the kmail developers and I haven't
spent the time to devise a local patch yet.  Usually I delete the extra
e-mail address, but sometimes I miss it.

The "solution" the kmail folks think is appropriate is to explicitly configure
a list of known aliases for each mailing list.

--
John Baldwin