Re: seemingly off topic but not really

From: Diomidis Spinellis <dds_at_aueb.gr>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:21:51 +0300
On Jun 3, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Does anyone know of a program that knows C syntax, and can rename a
> variable across a set of files without screwing up the comments etc.?
>
> I vaguely remember seeing such a program once...

CScout will do what you want <http://www.spinellis.gr/cscout>.  It
can follow cpp macros so it will even rename structure members that
are only related by being used by the same macro.  It can also
process together multiple configurations or modules.  I've recently
run it over the FreeBSD kernel, and it can handle all the C
extensions we're using.  Write to me if you need any help.

Diomidis Spinellis