Re: any simple tool to extract files from an UFS image ?

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_bitblocks.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:49:35 -0700
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:50:23 PDT Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>  wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >> dump and restore?

That was my first thought too!

> > the UFS image is just a file produced on FreeBSD - i'd rather not
> > require root privs to mount the image in order to manipulate it.
> >
> > cheers
> > luigi
>
> dump reads the UFS filesystem directly does it not? piped into
> restore, it puts the files onto a mounted filesystem.

You'd have to modify dump a bit since it insists on a special
device to dump from (and make dump+restore work on linux).

Or he can use vbackup & vftp from plan9ports. vbackup can
read a variety of filesystems and archive them to a venti
server.  vftp can be used to retrieve files from venti. None
of the three require root privs and already work on linux.
	http://swtch.com/plan9port/