Re: CFT: BSD-licensed grep [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/textproc/bsdgrep Makefile distinfo]

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:21:52 +0200
Andrey Chernov escribió:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:28:10AM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
>
>> BSD grep is even not bothering to call setlocale(). I can't say is it can
>> be simple healed by adding that call, some test suite run is needed.
>>

> Quick source inspection reveals that BSD grep operates with single bytes
> only (util.c) so big rewriting with mbrtowc() is needed. Adding
> setlocale() only will makes it only useable with single byte locales, in
> success case.

Sorry for the possibly silly question, but what we mean localization
here in the case of grep? As far as I see, it works with wide chars,
because the regex library is aware of those. What other aspect needs to
be taken into account? In case of sort, I understarnd that it should
explicitly handle wide characters due to the different alphabet of the
different languages and yes, that seems to be a difficult task...

Gábor