Re: cpio -l fails to revert to copy-mode

From: Pietro Cerutti <gahr_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:06:08 +0200

Tim Kientzle wrote:
| Pietro Cerutti wrote:
|> ~> cpio -dumpl /tmp/
|> test
|> cpio: Can't create '/tmp/test': Cross-device link: Cross-device link
|
| Try the following patch and let me know if it works for you.
| The error messages are a little funky, but the behavior
| seems to roughly follow GNU cpio.  I'm tempted to clear
| the link option here so that after the first EXDEV error,
| cpio won't even bother trying to link subsequent files.
| That should be slightly more efficient in the common case
| (where you're copying a whole tree across devices) but
| will change behavior in the very uncommon case where the
| target is partially on the same device and partially on
| a different device.  This would differ from GNU cpio,
| which spits out the same warning for every cross-device
| link.
|
| ==== src/usr.bin/cpio/cpio.c ====
| _at__at_ -545,6 +545,12 _at__at_
|                             archive_error_string(cpio->archive));
|                 if (r == ARCHIVE_FATAL)
|                         exit(1);
| +#ifdef EXDEV
| +               if (r != ARCHIVE_OK && archive_errno(cpio->archive) ==
| EXDEV) {
| +                       cpio_warnc(0, "Copying file instead");
| +                       archive_entry_set_hardlink(entry, NULL);
| +               } else
| +#endif
|                 return (0);
|         }

I had tried a similar patch myself locally, but that doesn't seem to work.

Please look at this:

| mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1f on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local)

| pwd
/home/gahr/docs/Projects/FreeBSD/src/usr.bin/cpio

| ls -al cpio.c
- -rw-r--r--  1 gahr  gahr  24725 Jun 20 11:00 cpio.c

| ./bsdcpio -dumpl /tmp/
cpio.c

^Dbsdcpio: Can't create '/tmp/cpio.c': Cross-device link: Cross-device link
bsdcpio: Copying file instead
bsdcpio: Couldn't stat "": No such file or directory

| ls -al /tmp/cpio.c
- -rw-r-----  1 gahr  wheel  0 Jun 20 11:00 /tmp/cpio.c

The file is created on the target directory, but it's empty...

- --
Pietro Cerutti
gahr_at_FreeBSD.org

PGP Public Key: