Re: iwn Driver for intel 4965 WLAN adapter

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:41:49 -0500
james toy wrote:
> fellow daring -CURRENT members,
>
>     Firstly we aren't so daring -CURRENT has been perfect for me for around
> 1 year -- in any event i'm struggling with my intel 4965 and was wondering
> if i might be able to brainstorm with a few of you -- firstly i have an
> ibm(lenovo-ack) x61 tablet -- i initially loaded the standard module if_iwn
> -- and immediatley noted the dmesg cry for help saying to enable the
> legal.intel_iwn.license_ack=1 in /boot/loader.conf -- once having done that
> i rebooted my machine so that iwnfw (firmware) could be loaded -- once this
> was loaded i was under the impression that i would be scott free and go
> about my "ifconfig iwn0 up scan" or "ifconfig iwn0 up ssid crazylegs" and
> then dhclient from there.
>
> negative -- [ifconfig iwn0 up scan] returns : "ifconfig: unable to get scan
> results" and [ifconfig iwn0 ssid crazylegs] returns : "ifconfig: SIOCS80211:
> Invalid argument"
>
> i'm completely confused and have done a fair bit of googling on this --
> nothing really comes up too definitively -- i've also built this directly
> into the kernel as well -- both the module and the built in versions of this
> driver return the exact same thing for me -- any ideas ladies and gents?
>
> respectfully
>
> -jt

I was hit with the same thing.  In current CURRENT, you have to create
these wlan devices.  One way is to put lines something like this into
rc.conf:

wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="ssid crazylegs DHCP"

To be honest, I am still at a loss as to how I managed to figure this
out - I guess I got luckier with the googles.  "man ifconfig" helps, but
you have to read the right parts.  "vi /etc/default/rc.conf" also
provided some clues.

Stephen