Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:57:23 -0700
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Derek Ragona
<derek_at_computinginnovations.com> wrote:
> At 10:04 PM 6/26/2008, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Benjamin Close
> <Benjamin.Close_at_clearchain.com> wrote:
>> Tom Evans wrote:

>>> I'm fairly sure that Intel Matrix metadata cant be created/modified by
>>> fbsd, only read. You should be able to do whatever rebuild operations
>>> you need in the BIOS I believe, but that would be an offline operation,
>>> clearly.
>>>
>>> I may be mistaken, and the driver can handle array rebuilds for matrix.
>>> If it can, the command you are looking for is 'atacontrol rebuild ar0',
>>> see atacontrol(8).
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Please DONT use FreeBSD to rebuild this RAID5 unit. FreeBSD will detect it
>> as a raid 5 Unit and even allow you to use it, add the new disk to it and
>> even let you rebuild the raid.
>> However the ata driver does not have support parity for Raid5. From
>> ataraid(4):
>>
>>    RAID5 is not supported at this time.  Code exists, but it neither uses
>>    nor maintains parity information.
>>
>> You can confirm this in code, just look for the Swedish comments in
>> ataraid.c
>> Hence writing to the raidset will give you a glorified raid0.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Benjamin
>
> So.. wait a sec? Are you saying I'm fscked because my RAID5 is nothing
> more than RAID0 under FreeBSD?!?!
> -Garrett
>
> Most if these RAID's are done in the BIOS so the OS sees just a volume.  The
> RAID 5 or RAID 1, or RAID 0, or various combinations are left to the BIOS.
>
> Also these are considered software RAIDS not hardware as the BIOS uses the
> Motherboard CPU.
>
>         -Derek

Grabbed a 1TB drive on sale just for kicks to see if I could rebuild
the array, but I don't see any option at all under FreeBSD (sadly
enough).

So, if I did the following when I setup the RAID, I'm essentially
screwed, aren't I?

1. Configure RAID in Matrix manager.
2. Boot into FreeBSD.
3. Note new device called /dev/ar0.
4. newfs ... /dev/ar0 # Does this mean I did this with RAID0?

-Garrett