Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:02:36 +0200
On 28Jun, 2008, at 10:29 , Garrett Cooper wrote:

>> So, if I did the following when I setup the RAID, I'm essentially
>> screwed, aren't I?
>>
>> 1. Configure RAID in Matrix manager.
>> 2. Boot into FreeBSD.
>> 3. Note new device called /dev/ar0.
>> 4. newfs ... /dev/ar0 # Does this mean I did this with RAID0?
>>
>> -Garrett
>
> HAHA!!! Windows (sadly enough) still has uses.
>
> Installed Vista on another disk, plopped in the Intel RAID junk and
> voila it's rebuilding the RAID as we speak. 12 hours later it should
> be finished =\...
>
> At least now I can backup the data to my other machine, and have the
> ability to drop iir like a hot rock for twa (purchased a 3ware 8
> 9560SE card I've been eyeing for the past 6 months).

Erm, this makes no sense at all. You state you use the "iir" driver
for the card, yet you expect to see the devices under ATA ?  Those are
two very different animals, you can't use them together in away way or
fashion on the same drives.

That asks the question: which one is it ?

If you use "iir" I have no idea how/if a rebuild is possible under
FreeBSD, however it could be in the BIOS or with any other OS that
supports it (here the HW should have kept your parity data intact).

If you use ATA you shouldn't have used RAID5 as the docs tell you, as
there will be no parity data to rebuild from no matter what BIOS/OS
you use -> you will get garbage no matter what.

> Thanks for the help and support. This definitely served as a lesson to
> backup my data more often...

That by itself may be worth all the trouble :)

-Søren