Re: Differences in malloc between 6 and 7?

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:19:08 +0100
Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:23:33 EST gnn_at_freebsd.org  wrote:
>> One of the folks I'm working with found this.  The following code,
>> which yes, is just an example, is 1/2 as fast on 7.0-RELEASE as on
>> 6.3.  Where should I look to find out why?
>
> Specifying malloc option K (double virtual memory chunk size)
> roughly halves the runtime.  Additional Ks reduce it more and
> more.  As this test spends most of its time in the kernel,
> may be this is just due to the mmap overhead? Or may be the
> defaults for 6.3 were different.

Well, the whole architecture of malloc is different.

I also see a big performance cliff (drops by a factor of 10) when malloc
size exceeds the chunk size (1MB by default).  Also concurrent access to
mmapped memory performs badly in FreeBSD right now.  I have patches that
convert the vm_map lock to a sx to avoid this contention, but they need
some more work.

Kris