Re: Yet another BSD licensed replacement: size(1)

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:39:32 +0100
* Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> How does yours compare with Sam Arun Raj's implementation of size(1) in
> Perforce?  IIRC it was fairly complete.
>
> See:   http://wiki.freebsd.org/ElfToolChain
> and:   //depot/user/samarunraj/elftoolchain/src/usr.bin/size/

Unfortunately, the wiki is down, but I just did a checkout of Sam's
work. Too bad I didn't know there was already an implementation already,
but it was fun anyway. ;-)

As far as I can see, his version is a lot more complex than mine, but
has the advantage that it supports core dumps and archives as well. My
version is more compatible with the GNU one, in case someone is using
this in shellscripts (has the -B switch, output is exactly the same,
etc).

Even though I couldn't build Sam's version in one go (lot of warnings),
I think we'd better stick to Sam's implementation. I've attached an
updated version of my work to this email, in case someone finds
something interesting in there.

What I can't understand, is why the System V format is called like that.
size(1) on Solaris is *completely* different.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/