Re: vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed with many ZFS FS and NFSD

From: Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:13:49 -0400
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Your kernel has run out of memory.  If you cannot tune kmem_size further
> then it cannot handle this many ZFS filesystems.

Roughly how much kernel memory does a filesystem use (even if inactive) ---
or did you really mean something like too many pools?

The ZFS documentation encourages creating filesystems for everything.  I
think my (rather beafy) laptop has 20 filesystems now for various tasks ---
but I didn't realize there was a non-trivial cost (that is: a cost beyond
the mount structure, root vnodes and whatnot)...