Re: ServerWorks/Broadcom HT1000 chipset errata saga

From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:51:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gregory Wright <gwright_at_antiope.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 9, 2008, at 6:53 PM, Xin LI wrote:

> > Travis Mikalson wrote:
> >>
> >> Really hoping this will make it into RELENG_7_0.
> It has successfully
> >> worked around the crippling HT1000 SATA problems.
> >
> > Yes, the changeset was committed into RELENG_7_0
> and RELENG_7.
> > Because
> > it's very late of release cycle, I am afraid that
> we will not be
> > able to
> > incorporate this patchset in 6.3-RELEASE, but I
> think it would be a
> > good
> > errata candidate after testing.
> >

> One note that might help out people with the Tyan
> h2000M (S3992)
> mobos --- for the HT1000 patch in RELENG_7 to work,
> you need to make
> sure the BIOS settings put the HT1000 SATA
> controller in "S-ATA"
> emulation
> mode.  If you use "P-ATA" emulation mode, you are
> back in data
> corruption hell.
>
> There is also a BIOS option for "RAID" mode which I
> have not tried.
> Setting "S-ATA"
> mode the box seems to run as reliable as it did
> under 6.2.
>
> BR,
> Greg

I'm a bit concerned that these "workarounds" for this
and a couple of other chipsets indicate a problem with
some underlying mechanism in the SATA driver code.
There are no such workarounds required in the linux
driver from what I've seen. Could it be a problem with
buffer handling that might creep up under heavier
loads?

Barney

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs