Re: KSE

From: Remko Lodder <remko_at_elvandar.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:49:45 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, March 12, 2008 8:26 pm, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Several people have asked me about todays removal of the
> asynchronous system call support. (AKA KSE).
>
> The answer is a little complicated.
>

> In 1998 about 15 people regularly got together in Foster City,
> in the offices of Whistle Communications (RIP) and argued over
> a several month several month period about what to do about
> threading.  A design emerged, which allowed for several models
> of threading to be implemented, including 1:1 and M:N
> and even M:1 (if N ==1).
>
> Since no-one was doing this I implemented this in 1999->2001
> and it was introduced into 5.0.
>
> Dan Eischen was brave enough to take on the userland side of the M:N
> threading and I think neither of us realized how really tricky this
> would become.
>
> In the last few years several things have happened that have
> changed the threading landscape, in particular the fact is, that
> with it's commanding position, Linux has forced most developers to
> abandon threading their applications in a way that is not suitable for
> 1:1.
>
> Also "Everybody got Busy". (kids etc).
>
> The the complexity of M:N could not really be overcome
> with the resources available. Dan has done a Might Job (TM)
> with some help from David Xu, and I tried to keep the kernel
> side in order as much as I could, but I think the time has just
> come when we must say, that the experiment of M:N threading
> is declared to be at an end. It's not that it is an inherently
> bad idea, but that we don't have the resources that some
> companies that HAVE been able to do it were able to put on the
> problem. In the same time the requirement for M:N has reduced.
> In 1998 no=one really knew a lot about threaded Unix programs
> because there were not a lot of them. As time has gone past
> the models that have evolved have moved away from having
> thousands of threads in a program, as that was not good on
> Linux to having just a few. Given this the extra complexity
> needed for M:N seems more and more out of place.
>
> Not all is lost however. The same framework changes that produced
> the M:N kernel support were, by design also capable of
> supporting 1:1 threading. This is where the world has gone,
> and we are perfectly set up to support this. The decisions we took
> in 1998 to support both models was good and our words at the time
> were in hindsight perfectly correct. I'm sure those who were
> there will remember that we said "We'll support several models
> and see which works best and when that becomes clear we can
> migrate to that model".
>
> The work done by all parties in keeping the two
> threading libraries in sync so that their ABIs are compatible
> has payed off big-time here. I would especially like to
> bring the spot light on several people here:
>
> -----
> Dan Eischen.  Despite having a "real life" He did the imppossible
> and made the M:N library more reliable than the simpler 1:1 library
> [...]

Well, I for one :-) would like to thank you, David and Daniel for the
tremendous work all that period of time, a lot of people learned from it,
build upon it and so on.

I am very very sure I am not the only one thinking like this, and I agree
with the part that I hope that Daniel remains part of the FreeBSD Project!
It's good to have him aboard!

Cheers,
Remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko_at_FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko_at_EFnet