Re: SATA hangs kernel during boot on MacBook Pro 4,1

From: Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:39:53 +0300
13.03.08, 17:38, "Florian Smeets" <flo_at_kasimir.com>:

> one of the first things i did after i got my new MBP was to create a
> second partition and try to install FreeBSD, but so far i was unable to :-(
> I tried to boot 6.2-RELEASE, 7.0-RELEASE and the March 8-CURRENT
> snapshot, it didn't matter whether i tried amd64 or i386. The hang was
> always at the same place and there were no messages or whatsoever. After
> the DVD drive is recognized the kernel just hangs...
> I tried to set all the hw.ata. knobs to 0, tried safe mode from the
> loader, tried disabling acpi, apic, usb, firewire and so on, still no
> luck...

I've got a FreeBSD machine with CURRENT and it worked well.
It was about 2 months old. So, I updated it two days ago and i
had problems after that. System began hang on kernel loading.
I tried boot with disabled MSI/MSIX and I had interrupt storms..
So, after several times of kernel rebuilding (i removed all
unneeded at this time drivers) it booted without hang. I disabled
several devices in BIOS too (USB, Audio, COM, LPT, ..).
So I think the problem isn't in ata driver. May be ACPI?

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov