Re: RELEASE discs & ISO images (for future)

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:59:51 +0100 (CET)
Vadim Goncharov wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > >
 > > > By the way, the maxmum cluster size is 127k or 130048 with uzip,
 > > > if you want to maximize the compression ratio.
 > > That would make the live FS painfully slow, and it wouldn't
 > > make a big difference from the default (16K).
 > > It is already noticeably slow with the default cluster size
 > > of 16K on my test machine (a 1 GHz VIA C3), so would rather
 > > prefer to use 2K cluster size, even though compression will
 > > be not quite as good.  (2K is the minimum, less than that
 > > doesn't make sense for CD9660 media because the physical
 > > sector size is 2K.)
 >
 > How much is slowdown from 2K to 16K ?

It's very noticeable.  I haven't done benchmarks, but
you can clearly feel the difference.  A find(1) takes
more time.  Also man(1) takes longer until the page
comes up.  Any kind of random access is slower, unless
all data is already cached.

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be a difference
between 2K and 4K, and the difference to 8K is only
very small.  But there is a noticeable difference
between 8K and 16K.  I don't know why, maybe it's
related to FreeBSD's handling of FS buffers.  So
maybe the "optimal" cluster size for an acceptable
performance/compression ratio would be 8K.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
        -- Dick Brandon