[Fwd: call for help w/ vap support scripts]

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:45:24 -0700

attached mail follows:

I'm preparing the multi-bss/vap wireless code for commit to HEAD but
need help w/ the rc scripts (and devd glue) to make this happen.  With
vaps the underlying device is no longer used directly; instead you must
clone a vap ifnet before you can do things like associate to an ap.  For
example,

ifconfig wlan create wlandev ath0 wlanmode sta

will create a wlanX device that operates in station mode.  This doesn't
work with the existing rc support so we need changes.  If you're
interested in working on this please contact me directly.

Note I am not interested in suggestions of the sort "why don't you
auto-create wlanX's for each device".  I've been down that road (the vap
code is nearly 4 years old) and that's a disaster.

    Sam