Re: patching

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:49:12 -0700
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:18:59PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > In otherwords, you have stale files in ${DESTDIR}/usr/include.
>
> Thanks, David, I'd found it a couple days ago, actually it was pointed directly
> to in an earlier email.  I had somehow pulled a really old copy of tablet.h from
> my cvs archive onto my system....

Something I've been doing for a while to avoid that is to augment the
steps listed in src/UPDATING by prefixing the "make installworld" with

	rm -fr /usr/include.old && mv /usr/include{,.old}

so once "make installworld" has completed, /usr/include is fresh.

I have had very few breaks -- even in CURRENT -- over the years since
adopting the approach.  (And I generally track CURRENT daily.)

Note that the approach is not appropriate for a machine that has
/usr/include updated outside of the "make installworld" process -- but
my machines don't have that issue.  (Still, note that I "move aside" the
old /usr/include, just in case....)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
I submit that "conspiracy" would be an appropriate collective noun for cats.