Re: ATA and APIC IRQ conflict

From: David Naylor <naylor.b.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 20:52:29 +0200
On Sunday 04 May 2008 01:17:16 you wrote:
> David:
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  I am trying to install FreeBSD on a gigabyte board (based on nForce 650i
> >  chipset (with MCP51 controller)) however no SATA hard drives are
> > detected. However, if APIC is disabled then I have access to the hard
> > drives (and only one CPU).  It has been suggested that it is an IRQ
> > conflict (or something else related to APIC).
>
> I'll bet its interrupt routing more than IRQ conflicts (which these
> days on a modern system really doesn't make sense).  More than likely
> there is some funkiness going on with the BIOS's ACPI tables (I would
> start with the MADT and verify its entries look kosher).
Considering that the system works with APIC disabled I think you are right.  I
am learning on the fly here, sorry.

There does not appear to be any BIOS options except for the suspend state,
currently set to S1? (And a few power-on options, all disabled)

> Though it could be a power management problem and have nothing to do
> with interrupts (though with the SATA hard drives not being detected I
> would guess its interrupts).
Both linux and windows vista run on this system without a problem... Except
when I reboot from FreeBSD then windows BSOD's and linux keeps resetting ata
(without ever actually booting).  After having run FreeBSD I need to do a
system power down (not just a reboot) then the problem disappears.

Also even with APIC disabled FreeBSD fails to detect my second CD ROM drive
(both are IDE) and it fails to read the first one.

> >  Could someone please point me in the right direction so that I could try
> > fix this problem (i.e. how to change the IRQ of the ATA drivers or where
> > to fiddle with APIC to try get it to work?)
>
> I would read this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html
Done quickly... Thanks for the pointer.

> I would definitely set ACPI_DEBUG=1 and go from there.  Perhaps if you
> can start dumping the AML on your system (acpidump) and any messages
> you get on the console (dmesg etc.) you can post them here.  Also let
> us know what kind of BIOS options you have revolving ACPI, power
> management, and any legacy settings (e.g. MPS Table options if any).
Please see attached for the information (if anyone can't access them please
e-mail me and I'll send you a copy)

If you really need the dmesg with APIC enabled please let me know (it is not
easy since neither hard drives or cd drives are working but I think I have a
plan... :-)

In loader.conf:
hint.apic.0.disabled=1

debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_COMPONENTS ACPI_ALL_DRIVERS"
debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_ERROR ACPI_LV_WARN"

And sysctl hw.acpi:
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
hw.acpi.verbose: 1
hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 0
hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1

> Without more information its hard to say what exactly is your problem
> other than disabling ACPI kinda fixes it.
>
> Also, PLEASE CHECK GIGABYTE's motherboard web page for any BIOS
> updates that have been released.  Typically BIOS updates fix these
> kinds of problems.
I doubt it is a BIOS specific problem since this is the second board (first
one was from Asus) that has this problem.  Just to be safe I flashed the BIOS
to the latest one, no luck :-(

Thank you for your help.

David

P.S. I think this is better suited for currect_at_?  So I have CC'ed that mailing
list.