Re: Byteswap and UFS

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:29:07 +0200
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:10:24PM -0400, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> Are there any plans to add byteswapping into the UFS code, ala NetBSD?  This
> would be really useful for moving disks between architectures.  I noticed pjd
> was doing some work with this, but last thing I can find on it is a blog
> entry from over a year ago.

I did the read-only part, ie. you can mount UFS file system read-only
created on system with different byte order than yours. Read-write
support is much harder. Also the NetBSD's way of doing it is very
intrusive to the UFS source - number of changes is a scary. I was trying
to do it a bit differently (on lower level), which went nice for
read-only, but may be harder for read-write. The code was never
committed.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org