nfe0 watchdog timeout

From: Pascal Hofstee <caelian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:12:59 +0200
Hi,

I recently decided to switch my CURRNET from i386 over to amd64 and
have since noticed an occasional occurance of the following phenomenon:

Every couple of days the nfe0 interface (nVidia nForce MCP55 Ethernet
Controller ... Vitesse VSC6801 PHY) enters a mode from which it simply
will not recover.

When it happens the console keeps spewing out

nfe0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering

When this happens i have to reboot to get the interface working again.
(I'll probably build another custom kernel soon and disable the nfe
driver so i can try if a kldunload/kldload cycle will do the trick).

Considering i have never observed this phenomenon when running the
exact same system with CURRENT/i386 i wonder if this problem may be
some sort of 64-bit issue.

Any ideas and/or solutions would be appreciated.

With kind regards,
  Pascal Hofstee