Re: development of framebuffer driver hi res console

From: Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 01:21:50 -0500
Amd64 platform currently has no options to change the primitive 80x25 mode
text console as VESA is not supported.

for what it is worth, I run my system console like this:

in my kernel conf file I put

options         VESA                    # Enable VESA Mode
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE           #
options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=1000    #
options         SC_NORM_ATTR=(FG_GREEN|BG_BLACK)   #
options         SC_NORM_REV_ATTR=(FG_YELLOW|BG_BLACK)   #
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR=(FG_LIGHTRED|BG_BLACK) #
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR=(FG_LIGHTBLUE|BG_BLACK) #

and in mt /etc/rc.conf I have

allscreens_flags="MODE_280"

note you should man vidcontrol before doing this.

just type vidcontrol -i at your system console for the correct mode.

it isn't like gentoo or fedora, but it works for me.
I would REALLLY like to see better frame buffer support in FreeBSD

Sam Fourman Jr.