Call for Testers: bsdcpio

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:30:35 -0700
I've just finished committing a new 'bsdcpio' implementation
of cpio to -CURRENT.  This has been in development for about
six months now and is ready for broader use.  Here are the
key details:

Starting now, there are two cpio programs in -CURRENT:
    /usr/bin/gcpio  - GNU cpio
    /usr/bin/bsdcpio - bsdcpio

In addition, there is a symlink:
    /usr/bin/cpio -> /usr/bin/gcpio (default)
    /usr/bin/cpio -> /usr/bin/bsdcpio (WITH_BSDCPIO)

In particular, WITH_BSDCPIO only controls the
symlink; bsdcpio is always built regardless.

Here's what I intend to do unless there are objections
or problems:

7.1:  I intend to MFC the arrangement described above;
   'bsdcpio' will be available, but 'cpio' will still
   alias 'gcpio' unless you specifically choose otherwise.

CURRENT:  In a few weeks, I intend to change the
   default so that 'cpio' points to 'bsdcpio' unless you
   build WITH_GCPIO.

8.x: Both 'bsdcpio' and 'gcpio' still available.  'cpio'
   defaults to 'bsdcpio' unless you build WITH_GCPIO.

9.x: Remove 'gcpio' (still available in ports!), 'cpio'
   always refers to 'bsdcpio'.

Please let me know your experiences with bsdcpio.

Cheers,

Tim Kientzle