Re: Call for Testers: bsdcpio

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:59:17 -0700
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:30:35 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>Please let me know your experiences with bsdcpio.
>
> Are there particular tests you want us to run with bsdcpio?  I'm
> using cpio a lot for copying stuff around, so if there's anything
> particular you want me to watch out for, or something you'd like
> tested/stressed a bit more, just let me know.

I don't know of any particular weak points right now.
But this is still new enough code that there's certainly
some bugs, surprises, or missing features.

The trickiest issue has been getting hardlink handling
correct;  -p mishandled hardlinks up until just a
few weeks ago, and the different strategies used for
handling hard links in old and new cpio formats have
been responsible for a lot of code thrash.  There
may also be subtle differences compared to GNU cpio,
especially in areas like filename pattern matching.

I'm also looking for feedback about the feature set,
including missing options and cpio file format variants
that people rely on.

Basically, I just want people to use it, notice if it
causes problems ;-), and let me know about it.

Cheers,

Tim