Re: HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:03:59 +0000
In message <483BBC1B.6040905_at_elischer.org>, Julian Elischer writes:

>However the line discipline was a very convenient place for netgraph
>to hook in without leaving the kernel. If you can supply an equally
>effective way to hook into a serial device in such a way that it
>appears to be a source/sink of bits then I don't care about
>line disciplins, but until you have a suggested replacement then leave
>them alone. There are MANY people using mpd with the netgraph ppp
>moduel hooked directly to the serial port via the netgraph line
>discipline.

What exact value of "MANY" are we talking about here, and do you
have any evidence that the systems in question will be updated
to FreeBSD-8.0-RELEASE or later ?

If, contrary to my expectation, that you can show a real market
here, then we should make a better interface than linedisc for
such hooks into serial ports.