Re: USB4BSD release candidate number 3 - request for review

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:30:51 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20081104165029.225511d8_at_tau.draftnet>
            Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk> writes:
: On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 00:04:02 +0100
: Lars Engels <lme_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
: > Now I just removed everything but usb2_core from the kernel config and
: > load the modules manually. So far it runs pretty good.
: >
: > Mounting a umass device, removing it and doing an 'ls' on the
: > mountpoint freezes the system, I thought this should not happen with
: > the new stack?
: >
:
: I seem to remember the problem was tracked back to something in the cam
: layer not liking surprise removals?

For msdos filesystem, there were a number of minor tweaks that were
made to make this suck less.  Some were in the old usb layer, but most
were in the buffer cache of FreeBSD to make it more resilient to
errors from the device...  But it wasn't totally fixed...  Hans' stack
did have a period of time when card removal was working better than
the stock FreeBSD stack, but that got cleaned up before 7.0.

Warner