Re: new X11 project

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:33:26 -0500
On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:52 -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> [This is my first time running this mail composing tool, tell me if
> it's doing something evil I don't see, ok?]
>
> I just got pointed at a URL, if you haven't, it's most likely worth
> your time to read this;
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_wayland&num=1
>
> It's discussing a new X11 project, going by the name Wayland, a RedHat
> project.  Among it's primary goals is to simplify the server, and
> since making things simpler (and hence more reliable) has been a
> lifelong primary goal of mine, I'm listening.  My goal here, beyond
> trying to be helpful in pointing out something clearly important, is
> to find out of anyone has done any research with a mind towards
> finding out the ultimate compatibility between FreeBSD and this new
> Wayland.  I'm always worried that a Linux-person is going to
> "innocently" write something that requires us to become a Linux
> lookalike.

I haven't spoken to krh about it, but the userland component likely
won't be all that difficult to port.  The more complex issue is all the
back-end kernel support that will be needed.  GEM is on my list to do
sooner rather than later, but I haven't gotten it going yet.  I still
have to scope out kernel modesetting, this may require even more kernel
work than gem.  Once both of those features exist, it is probably viable
to port the code.

robert.