Re: usb2_sound behaviour

From: Raoul <rmgls_at_free.fr>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:11:35 +0100
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:32:2 Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008, Raoul wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> ²> usb2_sound does not detect an mbox (Digidesign) usb sound box.
> > world and kernel are all from this night.
> > as you can see the box is detected by snd_uaudio, but not by usb2_sound.
> > of course the box does not work at all even well detected by snd_uaudio,
> > perhaps this will come later.
> > i point out the detection problem at this moment.
> >
> > hope this serve
> >
> > best regards
> >
> > Raoul
> > rmgls_at_free.fr
> >

> Hi,
>
> Try to turn on uaudio debugging in USB2 when you plug the device:
>
> sysctl hw.usb2.uaudio.debug=15
>
> Second:
>
> Dump the descriptors of your Audio device, if you have usbconfig installed. It
> is not installed by default and it depends on libusb20. You can most easiliy
> install usbconfig and libusb20 from my private SVN repository:
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
>
> Goto the i4b/trunk/libusb20 and make all install
> Goto the i4b/trunk/usbconfig and make all install
>
> usbconfig -u xx -a xx dump_device_desc dump_curr_config_desc
>
> One idea why your sound device does not work:
>
> It has multiple configurations. You need perhaps to select config index 1:
>
> usbconfig -u xx -a xx set_config 1
>
> "xx" must be filled in properly of course.
>
> This can be done automatically by the "add_dev_quirk_vplh" command. See the
> UQ_CFG_INDEX_xxx quirks. You need to load "usb2_quirk" before it works.
>
> You can also try loading "usb2_input_hid". Maybe it presents itself like a HID
> device first, that's my guess.
>
> The old stack works a little bit differently with regard to selecting a
> configuration index.
>
> --HPS

Hi, Hans Peter,

thanks for your reply.
here is the result of my investigations.
hope i missed anything.

best regards

Raoul
rmgls_at_free.fr
----------

with hw.usb2.uaudio.debug=15
here are the results:

(ugen0: <Digidesign Mbox 2, class 0/0, rev 1.00/1.38, addr 2> on uhub1)
 usbconfig -u 2 -a 1 dump_device_desc:
 No device match

 usbconfig -u 2 -a 1 dump_curr_config_desc:
 No device match

 if it can help:
 here is what i found on a debian box with the same mbox 2 connected:

 Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x0dba
   idProduct          0x3000
   bcdDevice            1.38
   iManufacturer           1 Digidesign
   iProduct                2 Mbox 2
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength          646
     bNumInterfaces          7
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              500mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass       254 Application Specific Interface
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Device Firmware Update
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Control Device
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              2 Mbox 2
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
         bcdADC               1.00
         wTotalLength           96
         bInCollection           4
         baInterfaceNr( 0)       2
         baInterfaceNr( 1)       3
         baInterfaceNr( 2)       4
         baInterfaceNr( 3)       5
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             5
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             6
         wTerminalType      0x0601 Analog Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               5
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             7
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             8
         wTerminalType      0x0601 Analog Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               7
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             1
         wTerminalType      0x0601 Analog Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             2
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               1
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             3
         wTerminalType      0x0601 Analog Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             4
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               3
         iTerminal               0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           5
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           3
         bBitResolution         24
         bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
         tLowerSamFreq        8000
         tUpperSamFreq       48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
         bmAttributes            5
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Asynchronous
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0128  1x 296 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress         131
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x00
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0003  1x 3 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                2
         bSynchAddress           0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       3
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        3
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        3
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           7
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           3
         bBitResolution         24
         bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
         tLowerSamFreq        8000
         tUpperSamFreq       48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
         bmAttributes            5
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Asynchronous
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0128  1x 296 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress         132
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x00
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
[...]
       bAlternateSetting       6
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           7
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag           8193 IEC1937_AC-3
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             3 (FORMAT_TYPE_III)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
         tLowerSamFreq        8000
         tUpperSamFreq       48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
         bmAttributes           13
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Synchronous
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x00c0  1x 192 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        4
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        4
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           2
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           3
         bBitResolution         24
         bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
         tLowerSamFreq        8000
         tUpperSamFreq       48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        5
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        5
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           4
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           3
         bBitResolution         24
         bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
         tLowerSamFreq        8000
         tUpperSamFreq       48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        6
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor: