Re: new X11 project

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 06:52:04 -0800
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 14:54:21 +0100
Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 13:52:43 -0500
> Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_telenix.org> wrote:
>
> > [This is my first time running this mail composing tool, tell me
> > if it's doing something evil I don't see, ok?]
> >
> > I just got pointed at a URL, if you haven't, it's most likely
> > worth your time to read this;
> >
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_wayland&num=1
> >

> I only briefly looked at this, but it seems like they want to pull
> ever more of the functionality of the X-server into the kernel.
>
> This is definitely the wrong approach and smacks of Microsoft type
> thinking to me.
>
> Simplifying user-land at the cost of greatly complicating the kernel
> is a giant step backwards.

I'm not sure if it's the same idea, but I read an interview with Keith
Packard a few months ago where he was saying that X.org plans on
moving more functionality into the kernel too: in particular apparently
there's lots of code in userland which replicates the PCI access code
from the kernel.  They're moving that stuff into the kernel and
removing the duplication.  He made a point of saying that the kernel
interface is being made generic so any OS will be able to implement it.

--
Bruce Cran

--
Bruce Cran