Re: Call for testers: fxp(4) WOL

From: Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev_at_physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:56:49 +0100
On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 04:59:29PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:48:44PM +0100, Alexey Shuvaev wrote:
>  > I have tested more thoroughly and here are the results.
>  >
>  > FreeBSD-CURRENT (late oktober) without your patch
>  > (is it what you call 'stock'?):
>
> Yes.
>
>  > 	interface up or down, WOL disabled or enabled in the BIOS -
>  > 	system hangs when receiving WOL packet.
>  > 	Breaking to debugger shows kernel running, namely 3 acpi threads,
>  > 	acpi_task_[0-2].
>
> This is critical issue, your box is vulnerable to WOL attack.

Yop. I was badly surprised by the dead system after I ocasionally sent
WOL packet to the running system.

>  > FreeBSD-CURRENT from 4 Nov 2008 with your patch:
>  > 	again, with WOL enabled in BIOS or not, system hangs with WOL packet,
>  > 	but only if interface is down.
>  > 	With interface (fxp0) up and running, nothing happens.
>  > 	However, I failed to disable WOL with ifconfig, notebook boots
>  > 	always when WOL enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Maybe BIOS doesn't honor preprogrammed PCI configuration data?
> Or the reset command in fxp_stop() might cleared some important
> configuration data.

Ha! Bingo! See below.

>  > Linux-Ubuntu uname: Linux ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP
>  > Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux (booted live from CD)
>  > 	The same results as with FreeBSD-CURRENT with your patch.
>  > 	Disabling wol with ethtool does not produce the desired results.
>  > 	Receiving WOL packet when interface is down does not hang the system,
>  > 	but it (according to top) consumes 70% in system with
>  > 	kacpid process consuming 98.5% of cpu.
>  >

> Thanks a lot for your testing!
>
>  > So, it seems your patch is making FreeBSD on par with Linux.
>  > If you need something more, you are welcome!
>
> I still have no clue yet but would you try attached one after
> backing out previous patch?

Much, much better! Almost all issues are gone \O/.
So, if I do ifconfig fxp0 up then the system does not react to WOL packets.
And this is even if I do ifconfig fxp0 down afterwards.
(With previous patch system always hangs in interface down state.)
And if I shutdown system with ifconfig fxp0 -wol then it will not wake! Great!

The only remaining thing is system vulnerability right after the boot
before interface configuration. Receiving WOL packet in this interval
hangs the system as before. Could this be fixed near attach routine
or something similar? And also if I do ifconfig fxp0 -wol in this period
and shutdown the system it will then wake on WOL packet.
It is ifcongig fxp0 up that forces all things to work properly.

> --
> Regards,
> Pyun YongHyeon

Thanks a lot,