Re: usb2: no sound with M-Audio Transit

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:31:38 +0100
On Saturday 15 November 2008, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 15 November 2008, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe there is something wrong with the 16-bit to 24-bit data
> > > conversion ?
> >
> > One more thing:
> >
> > I'm using dfu-util for the firmware download. See
> > http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/dfu-util/
> >
> > The second  usb_claim_interface() call  fails. But that doesn't seem to
> > be fatal. If I comment out the exit() the download succeeds.
> >
> > Here's the output:
> > dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
> > This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> >
> > Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
> > Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
> > Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
> > WARNING: Runtime device already in DFU state ?!?
> > Found Runtime: [0x0763:0x2806] devnum=0, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=0, name="RAM"
> > Claiming USB DFU Interface...
> > Cannot claim interface: Unknown error
> > Setting Alternate Setting ...
> > Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
> > dfuIDLE, continuing
> > Transfer Size = 0x0040
> > bytes_per_hash=112
> > Starting download: [##################################################]
> > finished!
> > state(7) = dfuMANIFEST, status(0) = No error condition is present
> > state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
> > Done!
> > can't detach: Unknown error
> > Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode
> > error resetting after download: Unknown error
> >

> > The problem is that after the download the  device needs to be reset so
> > it gets recognized as uaudio device. This was not implemented in the
> > libusb from sourceforge for BSD.
> >
> > As a workaround you can slightly unplug the cable (I think I read this on
> > some netbsd list) which works but is not very convenient.
> >
> > The reset in dfu-util fails, possibly due to preceding errors.
> >
> > I also tried it with usbconfig:
> > # usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 reset
> > usbconfig: could not reset device: Device not configured
> >
> > And this error in dmesg
> > usb2_req_re_enumerate:1362: addr=2, getting device descriptor failed!
> >
> > This is not critical but it would be nice to get rid of this ugly
> > workaround.
>
> Hi,
>
> The problem is that the device changes its configuration descriptor and the
> reset implementation assumes that the configuration descriptor is the same
> after the reset. I will see if I can make a patch for this. I have the same
> problem when flashing the openmoko.
>
> I will make a patch for this by tomorrow.

Hi,

Could you try to checkout the latest sources from my private SVN, recompile
libusb20, usbconfig, USB2 modules and give all your USB devices a try?

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b

The problem about 24-bit audio is not solved yet, but I hope that the device
reset should work.

--HPS