[OT] XEN and AMD64? Was: Re: cannot build XEN kernel on amd64 machine

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:09:03 +0000
Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> * Alex Keda <admin_at_lissyara.su> wrote:
>> /mnt/jabber/DISTR/FreeBSD/src/CURRENT/sys/i386/i386/genassym.c:1: error:
>> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 is not between 4 and 12
>
> Be sure to compile an i386 kernel using an amd64 toolchain. This should
> do the trick:
>
> 	make TARGET_ARCH=i386 kernel-toolchain

Hello,
I'm very curious about XEN and FreeBSD, but I saw XEN only in the i386
part of the source tree, which implies there is only 32 Bit support. I'm
not very familiar with XEN, but it comes to more interest as CPUs have
better VM facilities so I would like to know whether FreeBSD will have
amd64 support for virtualization or will it be stuck at i386 as it is
with the Linuxulator?

Well, I'm mainly interested in HPC, so virtual machines are some kind of
'out of focus' at the moment, I apologize if I lack in rudimenatry
knowledge and if someone wants me first having read XEN related stuff
(just in case XEN is all over 32 Bit and also Linux has only 32 Bit
virtual environments).

Thanks in advance,
Oliver