Re: RFC - per-host configuration of pxe booting

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:09:21 +0200
> [this mailing list is as good as anyone i guess... feel free
> to forward it if you believe there is a more appropriate forum]
>
> The goal of this email is to figure out how to load host-specific
> configurations from pxeboot -- maybe as simple as loading
> /boot/loader.conf.${hostname} and possibly something slightly more
> flexible that allows me to define machine 'classes' (e.g. based on
> similar hardware configurations etc.).

why not use DHCP? you need it to boot the diskless anyways, and it can provide
a wealth of information. The code has been around for many years.
for example, in the dhcpd.conf:
        option FBSD.ind1 "hw.msk.legacy_intr=1";
        option FBSD.ind2 "machdep.conspeed=115200";
        option FBSD.rc-conf4 "rc.ws"
these are placed, by bootp.c, in kenv.