Re: RFC - per-host configuration of pxe booting

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:34:43 +0200
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:09:21PM +0200, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > > [this mailing list is as good as anyone i guess... feel free
> > > to forward it if you believe there is a more appropriate forum]
> > >
> > > The goal of this email is to figure out how to load host-specific
> > > configurations from pxeboot -- maybe as simple as loading
> > > /boot/loader.conf.${hostname} and possibly something slightly more
> > > flexible that allows me to define machine 'classes' (e.g. based on
> > > similar hardware configurations etc.).
> > >

> > why not use DHCP? you need it to boot the diskless anyways, and it can provide
> > a wealth of information. The code has been around for many years.
> > for example, in the dhcpd.conf:
> >         option FBSD.ind1 "hw.msk.legacy_intr=1";
> >         option FBSD.ind2 "machdep.conspeed=115200";
> >         option FBSD.rc-conf4 "rc.ws"
> > these are placed, by bootp.c, in kenv.
>
> sure, DHCP is the intended transport for this information, however the
> support you mention is not yet in the source tree as far as i can tell.
> Perhaps you are referring to your patches at
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/diskless-boot/5.2-bootp.c.diffs ?

I did send a PR, but it must have gotten lost ...
I think you should look at bootp.c, it's newer :-)
I just updated it, because resently I discovered a nasty bug that was there
from the beginning of time.
BTW, I'm not that proud of the coding, but didn't want to make too many changes
to bootp (it is ancient :-) and it was done when I was starting with
intel/freebsd.

> cheers
> luigi

chau