Re: zfs version 13 kernel and zfs version 6 userland tool?

From: Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev_at_physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:46:01 +0100
On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 08:41:41PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just half-updated a system to -current from today. This means I booted
> todays kernel with the old world.
>
> Is an old zfs userland tool supposed to work correctly with a recent
> kernel? All I get is "internal error: out of memory" when I try a zfs
> list (I noticed a problem as no zfs is mounted). I haven't read anything
> like it shouldn't work on the mailinglist (as this is the normal way of
> updating), so here are the loader.conf settings I use:
> ---snip---
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
> vm.kmem_size="700M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="700M"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="160M"
> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M"
> ---snip---
>
> This i386 system has 768MB of memory.
>
> Luckily /usr/src is not on ZFS, so I can install the new world if I want
> to. But t be able to go back to the old kernel if necessary, I prefer to
> not blindly update to the new world, except I get a message which tells
> that it will fix my ZFS problem for sure.

Hello!

Have a look at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-August/087391.html

I have just upgraded FreeBSD-CURRENT i386 residing on external USB drive.
The whole system is the classical / on UFS2 and /var, /tmp, /usr on UFS2 + SU
design, only media files (music, films, photos) are on zfs. I mount zfs
on demand by 'zpool import tank'.
I even haven't tried to play with zfs during single user mode.
After full upgrade I have done

zpool import tank
zpool upgrade -a
zfs upgrae -a