Re: i give up

From: Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल <wahjava.ml_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:20:06 +0530
Conrad J Sabatier writes:

[...]

> Hell, the fact that even at this late date we still don't have an
> amd64 nVidia video driver speaks volumes, in my opinion.

I don't think FreeBSD team can do anything about it, other than trying
to hack drivers like noveau[1] project is doing, since specifications of
the nVidia cards aren't made public, so you've to depend on nVidia to
write a driver for your OS.

> Otherwise, all I can see is that FreeBSD will eventually go the way of
> the dinosaurs and be someday relegated to little more than a quaint
> and curious bit of ancient and forgotten folklore on display in the
> museum of bygone primitive computing platforms, right there alongside
> the TRS-80s and Sinclairs and Commodores and Amigas and what-not.
> What a pity.

> It really does pain me greatly to have to abandon my beloved FreeBSD in
> favor of the the plethora of Linux "distros" out there, but my patience
> has worn quite thin, and I'm still not seeing any particular effort
> being put forth in the the FreeBSD camp to rectify the situation I'm
> finding myself in.  I've really come to love FreeBSD over the years,
> and have been a very outspoken advocate on its behalf amongst my
> friends and colleagues, but what I can I say?

> That it's a great system, provided you have the right hardware?  This
> is just not acceptable in this day and age, I'm sorry.

This was the situation of GNU/Linux too in its early days, but as its
userbase has grown, the hardware support for it has grown as well. The
userbase of FreeBSD is not as big as compared to GNU/Linux and also
FreeBSD has less contributors than GNU/Linux, so this is why hardware
support is not as good as GNU/Linux. I think we can help by
participating as developers, testers, porters etc.

Hope to see you back...