Re: i give up

From: Tim Clewlow <tim_at_clewlow.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:59:39 +1100 (EST)
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
> <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu> wrote:
>> Randy Bush wrote:
>>>
>>> what a tragic story.  and zero technical info, like even what
>>> your
>>> controller is.  best of luck in penguin land.  bye!
>>
>> I have had experiences where modern hardware is such that Linux
>> will work,
>> and FreeBSD won't.  So I find myself forced to use Linux.  But I
>> find the
>> experience so frustrating, that as soon as FreeBSD catches up to
>> that
>> hardware - and this always seems to happen - I immediately go back
>> FreeBSD.
>
> Twice I've had the opposite experience, once with a server and once
> with my shuttle desktop. I bought them to do Linux work but none of
> the half dozen linux distros I tried supported the SATA controller.
> However ... FreeBSD installed just fine.
>
> Your mileage will vary.
>
> Cheers,
> Kip

I've had mixed experiences, Linux has better support for video
capture cards, FreeBSD has better support for video driver on my
laptop. My point is they both have pros and cons.

Yes, it can be immensely frustrating when you lack support for a
piece of hardware, especially if you have been praising an OS for
quite some time. I'm guessing quite a few people have had this
experience. All you can do is back out and get some other hardware,
or wait until your specific device is supported. Its not ideal, but
very few things ever are, no matter how much we love them.

Cheers, Tim.

--
The code that never executes at all is the fastest.