Re: firefox3-bin crashes near arc4random_buf()

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:49:06 -0700
Jos Backus wrote:
>>On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 01:05:11AM -0700, Jos Backus wrote:
>>
>>>For a few weeks now firefox3-bin has been crashing semi-regularly for me.
>>>Backtrace attached. I selected `Build a debugging image' but the resulting
>>>binary is stripped, so no symbols.
>>>#3  0x28237381 in XRE_InitEmbedding () from /usr/local/lib/firefox3/libxul.so
>>>#4  <signal handler called>
>>>#5  0x2a39eb2d in arc4random_buf () from /lib/libc.so.7
>
> A few weeks ago, after these crashes had started happening, I rebuilt most
> ports on this machine, hoping it would fix the issue, but it has not.
>
> Any suggestions on how to debug this?

First, you need to share the first items in the
backtrace, as they're more likely to be correct.
I agree with Andrey that it looks like there's
some stack corruption, so it's hard to trust
anything except the first couple of entries.

You should also look at several independent core
dumps and see how much the backtraces have in common.

It might also be worth running it under ktrace,
forcing the crash, then sharing the last few dozen
lines from kdump output.

Good luck,

Tim Kientzle