Re: firefox3-bin crashes near arc4random_buf()

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:06:01 +1100
On 2008-Oct-05 22:14:24 -0700, Jos Backus <jos_at_catnook.com> wrote:
>Yeah. Oddly enough the debug version seems to make a difference; firefox3
>hasn't crashed yet. Normally even without touching it firefox3 will segfault
>within an hour or so.  I will leave it up all night to see what happens.

Either you've found a heisenbug or there was something screwy with the
previous libc.so - if it doesn't die, you might like to do a 'strip -g'
on your new /lib/libc.so.7 and see how that behaves, possibly followed
by another
# cp /lib/libc.so.7 /lib/libc.so.7-debug
# cd /usr/src/lib/libc && make clean && make && make install

Assuming that the only difference in flags is '-g', and the stripped
debugging version of libc works whilst the non-debugging version
doesn't, it looks like a bug in gcc.  I haven't looked inside gcc 4.x
but in earlier versions, '-g' does far more than
  "if (option_g) emit_debugging_section()"
and can potentially change the generated code.

--
Peter Jeremy