Re: 6-CORE Dunnington

From: Andreas Schweigstill <andreas_at_schweigstill.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:22:09 +0200
Hello!

Mars G Miro schrieb:
>     uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>     uhci0: [ITHREAD]
>
>    I've also tried installing via PXE and it always hangs on the above
> spot, even using a -CURRENT from Sept 26 and PXE-booting it. No go :-(

Have you connected a self-powered USB hub to the system? I also
noticed (on some other computers) major problems during cold boot
when the USB hub provides power not only to its downstream ports but
also to the upstream host port. This way the mainboard will get some
power even when it should be completely turned off.

It took me quite a long time to find out that nowadays cheap USB hubs
do not have proper power supplies (e.g. a Schottky diode on the upstream
port) which prevent such behaviour.

Also some self-powered USB devices behave strange during enumeration
done by the BIOS which also caused a hanging system during early boot
stages.

One of my computers (Asus P5Q Pro mainboard) didn't boot in all cases
when the mouse was connected to a USB hub integrated into one of the
TFT monitors. Connecting it directly to the PC (resp. it root hub)
solved the problem. After a BIOS update the problem vanished.

So you should try to disconnect all(!) USB devices from the computer
in order to find out if they cause the problems.

Regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill