Re: 6-CORE Dunnington

From: Mars G Miro <spry_at_anarchy.in.the.ph>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:56:28 +0800
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Mars G Miro <spry_at_anarchy.in.the.ph> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru> wrote:
>> Mars, good day.
>>

> Yo
>
>> Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:36:43PM +0800, Mars G Miro wrote:
>>>    I was able to install 200809-CURRENT on it but after recompiling
>>> the kernel (taking out WITNESS, INVARIANTS KGDB et al) I found out
>>> that I could not boot it anymore. What's weird is that I could not
>>> boot the same 200809-CURRENT CD that I used the first time.
>>
>> [Assuming you had not touched any hardware or BIOS configuration
>> since last good boot from -CURRENT CD.]
>>
>> Was is the totally cold boot (with power-off via unplugging the power
>> cord/switching off the master power input on the power supply) or just a
>> some sort of a warm or semi-cold boot with power button?  I had seen
>> the cases where hardware was in a such bad state, that only totally
>> cold boot was helping to recover.
>>

> Yes, I do this from time to time when I encounter hardware problems
> like these. I've tried various BIOS settings and configurations,
> changing to default BIOS values, I'd think I've scoured through all
> the BIOS settings, frustratingly because the BIOS takes quite some
> time to load (well this is a test platform, whaddya expect :-p)
>
> Cold-booting does not help either.
>

>> Just hangs
>>> on
>>>     uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>>>     uhci0: [ITHREAD]
>>
>> Any ways to disable (at least partially) USB stuff via BIOS?  May
>> be disabling other devices will help too -- try to play with the
>> disabling the various controllers.
>
> I've tried that one too.

Someone mentioned the same boot hangup problems I've had and the 'fix'
was to boot to some other OS first, like Linux. I tried Slackware 12.1
(also hangs somewhere during boot) and then Ubuntu 8.04 (am able to go
into the install screen) but rebooting back to freebsd is no go. Then
I recalled we were able to successfully install 64-bit Windows 2003
Server on it. So I booted it to the windows 2003 server just to the
point where it asks to install it, then rebooted it to the already
installed FreeBSD.

verbose dmesgs
of FreeBSD-200809 CURRENT:  http://pastebin.com/f367b3203
of FreeBSD-20080925 CURRENT: http://pastebin.com/f4338460a

I have also an output of acpidump but its quite huge, pastebin has limits:
-rw-r--r--   1 mars  staff  - 398105 Oct  9 16:38 DUNNINGTON-acpidump-td.txt
Email me privately if you want this (or I can give this to someone w/
ample bandwidth and a web server).

Also it detects only 16CPUs instead of 24. Win2k3 detects all 24.

make -j16 buildworld:  4442.721u 3236.681s 16:29.50 776.0%
6064+6203k 539+8258io 15117pf+0w

But I have an HP DL380 Quad-Core Xeon that rebuilds the world in just
13 minutes :-p

Thanks.

--
cheers