Re: (forw) Re: USB4BSD - release candidate 2 - coming to FreeBSD this week.

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:09:04 +0200
On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 08:51:29AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 09:30:32AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 October 2008, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > If you want a stub usb2_serial module that loads all serial drivers,
> > > that migh be useful, but we do not have an (e.g.) if_ethernet module
> > > for a reason.  The individual drivers MUST continue to exist and be
> > > independently configurable so embedded systems can choose what they
> > > need and exclude what they don't.
> > >
> > > -- Brooks
> >
> > Hi Brooks,
> >
> > That's no problem. Is the following list of module names acceptable?
>
> While I do kind of like them, I'd tend to lean toward not including the
> device classes in the names as that is a) tradtional and b) an easier
> transition for people with existing custom kernels.

actually there is already a precedent -- snd_* have a deviceclass prefix,
and the prefix is certainly a step forward in making the config files more
readable (especially with the cryptic 2/3 letter driver names that we use.

With the change to usb2 people will have to add a prefix anyways,
so this seems a good chance to start using the deviceclass prefix
as well.

	cheers
	luigi