Re: cannot install october snapshot from ftp server

From: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:03:04 -0400
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Maxim Konovalov <maxim_at_macomnet.ru> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, 11:26-0400, Ben Kaduk wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I actually had trouble with September, too, but I didn't try terribly hard.
>>
>> As I understand it, only a couple of ftp servers have the actual
>> distribution data
>> for the snapshots, with current.freebsd.org (aliased to
>> snapshots.jp.freebsd.org)
>> being canonical; I assume that snapshots.se.freebsd.org would also be likely
>> to have them, from its name.
>>
>> However, as I went to install amd64 last night, I was getting "failed to log in"
>> messages from current.freebsd.org, and I think from snapshots.se.freebsd.org
>> as well (though my memory is not 100% certain).  Certainly I failed to install
>> a system by this method, and resorted to downloading disc 1 and doing a
>> standard install from CD.
>>
>> I am moderately inclined to believe that I'm seeing server-side
>> problems, but I'm not sure.  Are there other servers that would have
>> the distributions for the monthly snapshots?
>>
> There is snapshots/ directory practically on any FreeBSD ftp mirror.
> E.g.
>
> ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots
> ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200810

Hm.  I seem to be having trouble, here.  I've been seeing other odd
behaviour with this laptop (thinkpad T400), such as the optical drive
not being enumerated on warm boots (I'll send a separate correspondence
about that), so it might be specific to this machine.

In any case, if I boot into the installer (amd64 8-current october 2008
snapshot) and do:
United States
Custom installation
options--> DHCP, FTP installation (media type)
       --> main site (ftp.freebsd.org)
interface em0
noIPv6
host: hysteresis.mit.edu
domain: mit.edu
IPv4 gateway: 18.187.0.1
name server: 18.71.0.151
IPv4 address: 18.187.7.74 netmask 255.255.0.0
(no extra options)

use existing partition; select mountpoints for existing slices
(disable softupdates)
distributions--> all
ports collection: no
commit pending changes
[...]
logging in to ftp_at_ftp.freebsd.org

***User Confirmation Requested***
Warning: Can't find the '8.0-CURRENT-200810' distribution on this
FTP server.  You may need to visit a different server for
the release you are trying to fetch or go to the Options
menu and to set the release name to explicitly match what's
available on ftp.freebsd.org (or set to "any").

Would you like to select another FTP server?
[yes]

[select by URL]
ftp://ftp2.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200810
You've already done the network configuration once,
would you like to skip over it now?
[yes]
[logging in to ftp_at_ftp2.ru.freebsd.org..]
[hangs for a few minutes (sorry, didn't start timing right at the beginning)]
Couldn't open FTP connection to ftp2.ru.freebsd.org:
Service not available, closing control connection.

[unable to initialize selected media; would you like to try again?]
[yes]
FTP--> snapshots server Japan (snapshots.jp.freebsd.org)
[skip over network configuration]

Cannot resolve hostname 'snapshots.jp.freebsd.org'!  Are you sure that your
name server, gateway and network interface are correctly configured?

Any further attempts to do anything result in hostname resolution failure;
I am forced to reboot.
Any further thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, or is this
starting to look like a bug?

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk