Re: installworld fails -> err code 71 -> too many levels of symbolic links

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:03:54 +0200
John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk> writes:
> > install: /usr/share/locale/nb_NO.ISO8859-1/LC_TIME: Too many levels
> > of symbolic links
> I've had to just blow away /usr/share/locale/nb* and /usr/share/locale/no* to
> get installworld to work.

Why didn't you tell me?

There was a narrow window between July 28th and July 29th where the
mtree files were not in synch with the code.  A buildworld /
installworld during that time would fail, and leave /usr/share/locale in
a semi-corrupted state.

Once the mtree files were corrected, the *only* way to run into any kind
of trouble with the .no locale would be to run 'make install' manually
from post-July-29th sources on a pre-July-28th system, without first
running 'make hierarchy'.

Of course, I may be wrong, but if everybody who runs into this destroys
the evidence and remains silent, we'll never know.

A complete log of the failed buildworld / installworld plus the output
of 'find /usr/share/locale -ls | grep _NO' would be appreciated.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no