Re: strange behaviour with /sbin/init and serial console

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:32:24 -0700
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 05:46:23PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> with the following patch on /sbin/init, I have two different behaviours
> depending on the console type (on a i386/32 PC) :
> - on a video console, I see the expected two messages,
> - on a serial console, the messages are not displayed (init silently finishes
> its job and gets to start /etc/rc and everything)

I thought this was normal behaviour on FreeBSD, but it's very likely I'm
misunderstanding.  The charts in Section 27.6.4 describe what "level" of
logging is shown where and at what stage, depending upon which boot
flags and device settings you use:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html