Re: RFC: moving sysutils/fusefs-kmod to base system

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:33:27 +0930
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> > This has several advantages
> > - You don't upgrade the port unless you want to when building a
> > kernel. - If the kernel API changes you find out because the port
> > doesn't compile then you can make an informed decision.
> > - You don't need a working network connection to rebuild your
> > kernel.
> >
> > </soapbox>
>
> By ports do you mean the ports-system? If that's the case you're

I mean something in /usr/ports.

> mixing the basesystem with applications. The separation of basesystem
> and apps is IMO one of BSD's strength. Why not use portupgrade for
> that purpose?

Then why allow ports to create & install KLDs at all?

This would cause /usr/src to reference an outside source (ie somewhere
in LOCALBASE where KLD source would be) but since the user already
opted to install a port KLD it seems reasonable.

I did get told that in theory you shouldn't need to rebuild port KLDs on
a release branch because the ABI shouldn't change.. That's a bit
unsatisfactory because people run -current where this guarantee doesn't
apply, and it isn't an iron-clad guarantee anyway :)

Basically it seems to me that it would have no drawbacks and prevent
people from forgetting to recompile stuff which could hose them down
the track..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum