Re: MTRR fixup?

From: Josh Carroll <josh.carroll_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:50:57 -0400
> Actually, it likely doesn't.

Ok, something else then. My second guess (and what I thought prior to
seeing this mail thread) was that it was perhaps address space
reserved for the kernel? Off topic for this thread I suppose, I can
ask elsewhere.

> All systems reserve the top 256MB of the address space for PCI
> memory and chipset registers.  Modern systems have started
> reserving even more than that for other new PCI functionality.
> Note that this is address space, not RAM.  The RAM is likely
> being remapped to some place above the 4GB barrier.

That makes sense. But is there a way to correlate where the physical
memory is mapped with the memory ranges listed in memcontrol list
output then? Or how would someone check if they are, in fact, affected
by this sort of BIOS bug?

>> I'll have to play with memcontrol to see if I can set those two large
>> ranges as cacheable. So this is a BIOS bug? The board in question is
>> an Asus P5K-E with BIOS revision 1102, which uses an Intel P35
>> chipset.
>
> At best, nothing will happen.  But more likely, your box won't boot.

So I'd be stepping on/trashing memory ranges used for PCI device
mappings? I guess I probably just started a ticking time bomb then,
huh? :)

Thanks,
Josh