xorgconfig / X -configure / startx causes fatal crash

From: Tony Sim <y2s1982_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:26:08 +0900
I purchased a laptop recently and have installed freebsd 7 stable 200807 to
get my network card to work
thanx to the mailing list, now the ethernet card works, but when i try to
run/configure X system, the computer crashes, core dumps, then reboots.
For the breif moment when the error message from Xorg appears, the system
seems to have hard time recognizing the graphics card, x4500 from intel.
(checking dmesg, the graphics card is seen by the ISA VGA driver as a
generic display)
I cannot see the error message for the core dump; things happen too quickly
for me, and i'm too much of a newbie to figure out how to get that log
message.

man, and i thought i was finally going to get to use the computer now that
the network card driver was updated...

please let me know what to do if there's any new information you require.
thank you for reading :)