Re: Panic on boot on Lenovo ThinkCentre, before copyright message appears [SOLVED]

From: Antony Mawer <fbsd-current_at_mawer.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:35:02 +1000
For the archives...

Booting in verbose mode yielded no additional messages, which meant the
panic was occurring before the SMAP messages are normally printed. This
narrowed the problem area considerably. In the end it seems that the
memory detection triggers an unimplemented or mis-implemented int12 in
the BIOS - I was able to work around it by setting the following loader
tunable:

     set hw.hasbrokenint12=1

at the loader prompt, allowed the machine to boot without issue. I
subsequently adding this to /boot/loader.conf to persist across reboots:

     hw.hasbrokenint12="1"

Hopefully this helps anyone who has similar problems in the future.

A big thank you to gavin_at_ who helped in tracking the solution.

-- Antony