Re: serial console on 8.x (probably sio vs uart)

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:56:11 -0400
At 10:04 AM -0700 9/12/08, Julian Elischer wrote:

>>No. Hints are optional and misused as they are. We're
>>not making things any cleaner if we make driver X look
>>for hints for driver Y.
>

>yeah but I almost bricked a machine the other day upgrading because
>I didn't have any uart hints but there were sio hints from the
>previous kernel that would have done the job.

/usr/src/UPDATING includes some boot-loader commands which are
supposed to help people who get into that situation.  That didn't
work for me, but ...

Hmm.  actually that reminds me of something I forgot to try.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org