Fwd: bin/125932: pkg_add(1) doesn't prompt for root credentials and then fails badly

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:12:07 -0700
------------------------
Fyi (From Bugbuster email for bin/125932):
------------------------

Here's a proposed patch for the first set of cleanup to pkg_install:
<http://pastebin.com/f1cee71c2>, and some fixing to alleviate the
issue in bin/125932.

Rather than biting off more than I can chew with the perforce project,
I'm going to work off the changes Anders has made and incrementally
polish pkg_install (like I should have done last year -_-...)

This patch causes pkg_install to error out at the first sign of
install failure (which could take a while as it's still using tar(1)
to extract archives in add/extract.c), BUT in getFileByURL I've
completely replaced the tar requirement in lib/url.c with
archive(3)'s, quite handy hooks for writing to files. So don't be
alarmed when you see that the file has grown 4 times ;)...

This patch hasn't gotten much mileage, other than a few failure and
success cases, so if others could please take a look at this and
provide comments I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers,
-Garrett

PS Packages might not be dumped in the correct spot -- I just chose
/var/tmp, but if someone could point me to the "industry standard"
location that portupgrade uses for instance, I'd be more than happy to
point there.